Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Saturday, March 7, 2009

A life is too precious to be lost, but can you stop somebody who doesn't value it?

I had to go over Vishwas's latest piece "IF YOU LOVE ME, YOU WILL DO WHAT I SAY" twice, to actually make sense out of it. It is difficult to judge such situations objectively, more so if you know even one of the people involved. In either of the instances, I don't know much about the circumstances that led to the girls threatening to take such a drastic step. I don't know what the men, in either of the circumstances, went through. "Will she really jump or is she threatening?" "What will happen to me if she does jump?"
After reading it, I had only one question in my mind:

A life is too precious to be lost, but can you stop somebody who doesn't value it?
As a journalist, I've had one of the most wretched experiences of my life in the TB ward at the GTB Hospital in Sewri, Mumbai. There are what you call 'Corridors of death'. Most patients are abandoned by their families (because most TB cases are linked to HIV or AIDS). Dramatic scenes play out day and night...people threatening to kill themselves - for the want of love, care and attention of those they still love and those who once loved them. "If you ever loved me, you will do this for me."

1 comment:

Ksavyera said...

After reading your post I'm surely planning to read this piece. I was impressed... really very controversial question...tnx for pointing out this issue.