Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How far will you go for the love of your life?

A friend of mine recommended that I take this quiz on Facebook. Like all other quizzes, this too was weird. I had to rate a few things I would do for the person I love - jump off a bridge, take a bullet, run naked on a street, get a tattoo, fight Superman, etc. I took the quiz to humour myself (like most journalists do in-between editing stories). But then it set me thinking...

Years ago, while sipping coffee at the St Xavier's College canteen, I had asked a friend, "How far will you go for the one you love?" My friend shook his head. "This question is irrelevant. I have never fallen in love or been with somebody." I prodded, "Well, if you were to fall in love, how far would you go?" "I think if you love someone, you should do everything it takes to make the person happy, safe, secure and loved. There's no point getting into a relationship without giving it all you have," he said. I was surprised by his response. My friend was known to be funny and jovial. That was the first time I had a glimpse of his intensity and seriousness.

After taking this quiz, I asked another pal the same question. His answer was very different. "Depends on what kind of support I have - the way one tyre supports the other in a two-wheeler. If it does not, instead of a drive or a ride, it becomes a drag." My friend did have a point. If you've got to run, you may as well be running together (or riding together, shall we say?)

I googled the answer to this question. On the Yahoo Answers page I got:
  • "As far as life will allow me to go..."
  • "Not very far. Six feet underground"
  • "sacrifice my happiness for his"
  • "I won't compromise my morals or ethics, but since she loves me back, she wouldn't ask me to. Other than that, anything for her."

But this one's my favourite on http://www.ojar.com:
"Depends what book you are reading - if you are reading the Bible then it is until death do us apart. If you are reading a bestseller then probably until you are bored. Trouble is that most people today would rather bail than stick with it through the rough patch's - for those of us that are left behind it proves one thing - we took our vows seriously. Look at my case not only was I left behind, but so was a child - all in the name of love."

Speaking of me - I don't know. I'm extremely short sighted and the closest I have come to 'going far for my love" is giving him my life. I'll definitely fight Superman for him and I may take a bullet too (painfully!) and I may overcome my fear of heights and jump off the bridge too, but running naked on the street... aah, I'll see when it comes to that!

No comments: