Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I will tie you up and put you into this garbage bag

For years, the image of being gagged and forced into a large black garbage bag has haunted me. I am not too sure if I see myself in the picture. It's just a blur. But the garbage bag comes to me from memory.

I must have been about five (in second standard), when my Maths teacher in Delhi had shown me the bag. She had barged into the classroom during my class teacher's period and had shouted out my name. Someone had complained to her that I had used an abusive word. I explained that I had repeated only what I had heard from some of the 'big boys' at school. She wasn't impressed. That I had an explanation for my 'sin' got her even more angry. She went out and brought back a huge garbage bag. I could have fit into that one then. She waved it at me and said, "If I ever hear any complaint about you using a bad word, I will tie you up and put you in this garbage bag." I looked at the bag as tears rolled down my cheeks. I shook with fear as I thought how my parents would find me if I were put into that bag.


The episode soon became history. I was a good student and was never scolded by any of my teachers again. But the garbage bag remains in my memory. The urgency with which I do things, tackle problems, very few can understand. It's not just about the problem that lies in front of me. It's the bag that I don't want to get close to, lest it suck me in. Most of the battles I have fought in my mind, could have been avoided had my teacher taken the pains to sit me down and explain to me the meaning of the cuss-word I had used (it was 'ullu ka pattha').

I am glad that Vishwas has picked the subject of corporal punishment in schools in his new article. My mom was the junior headmistress in a school and she would complain about how teachers nowadays are so impatient that if they can't control students, they simply refer some 'troublemakers' to counselling or suggest they move to a different school. It's time schools start screening teachers.

No comments: