Posted on Hello Wellness on Mar 21 2011 11:32AM
Have you ever wondered why a good workout leaves you with a feeling of satisfaction? Tired you may be, but you feel much better about yourself. Exercise is not just about losing weight, it's about gaining health.
By flooding your body with endorphins through your bloodstream and flushing out the stress hormones, a good workout makes your body feel wonderful. This, in turn, tends to improve the way you view yourself. It keeps those mood swings at bay and makes you feel more confident, excited and assured. Your interactions with others tend to be more positive, you are more willing to try new things, and you are easy to be around. And when you feel good, you look good!
Exercise tips to improve your self-esteem and mental health:
- Warm up those muscles before you exercise to avoid injury. Warming up increases blood flow so that your muscles will move more easily
- Drink water before, during and after you exercise. Less water intake can negatively impact your health. Water flushes toxins , carries nutrients to your cells and provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues
- Do not impose on yourself an exercise programme that you don't feel comfortable with. Choose an exercise you enjoy
- Exercise regularly for short durations. If you run, do it three to four times a week for 30 minutes each session instead of two hours every two weeks
- Look out for your body signalling you to stop. Respect your health
- Have a general check up with your doctor before you start an exercise regimen
Exercising with friends and family can be an effective stress-buster. Play a sport. It teaches you how to lose and come to terms with difficult decisions – lessons that go a long way in life.