Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Friday, July 11, 2014

When Life Gives You Bananas

I heard of The Monochrome Collective, an initiative that collects and publishes childhood stories, from my college-mate, Vanessa Braganza. "I would love to read a thing or two written by you," she had messaged. At the end of a tiring day of juggling numbers, I thought it was a good idea to write on something that would bring a smile to my face, and hopefully on others' faces too. So here it is:





When Life Gives You Bananas


Eisha Sarkar
Published in The Monochrome Collective on 10 July 2014

One day in 1986. I was three and I was going to run my first official race. There would be cups and shields to take home. We must have been at the school's sports ground for about fifteen minutes when my name was called out. "This is it!"

The teacher drew our markers and we took our positions. I watched her place the objects we had to use for the tasks we had to finish during the course of the race. “On your marks. Get... set... go...” And I was off! I ran like I had never run before. The first task required us to pick up a comb from the ground and comb our hair. Most of us only touched the combs to our heads. I heard the spectators cheering and clapping.

I ran to the spot where we had to perform our next task. I found a banana in a paper bowl. My friends picked theirs and gobbled them up. I took my time to peel it, checked if there were any extra-ripe portions that I did not like and took a small bite. It tasted good. I took another bite and watched the crowd of spectators. They were pointing and laughing. Then I heard the whistle. Suddenly, I realised that this was a race task, not breakfast.

My mother came running to me. She was laughing. Mother said, “You were supposed to eat the banana and run. Not just eat the banana!” I looked at her with my last mouthful. “I wasn't as quick as the others so I thought I might as well just finish off the banana properly.”

I was elated when they awarded me a prize, a consolation prize of sorts. I had, after all, entertained an audience.

No comments: