Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Saturday, March 5, 2022

Chemistry

One of the things I am most passionate about is Chemistry. Many of you have known me from a time before I became a journalist and you know how much I love my radicals and reactions. When I quit my first job at Downtown Plus in TOI in 2007, I told the editor that I wanted to learn how to make steel so I was going to Jamshedpur. She shook her head in disbelief. But there I was after a couple of weeks standing above a lava of molten iron coming out of the blast furnace at the Tata Steel plant in Jamshedpur. After marrying my husband and moving to Vadodara, factories became part of my day to day life and discussions about grades of steel dinner conversations. At a mining expo in Sydney when a Chinese rep told me the kind of steel he had was secret, I rebuffed him by telling him I come from a country that has been making steel for 5000 years. Yesterday, after a very long time, I took on a small writing project for a B2B magazine. The gentleman I interviewed owns a Rs 200 crore paints and coating business. For an hour, we talked chemistry and it brought back memories of me working in the lab and then working out those reactions in my head. It made me smile.

No comments: