Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Thursday, May 19, 2022

Not quite the homecoming


As someone who has grown up at Peddar Road, Haji Ali Dargah has been one of the most significant places in my life. Just a walk along the promenade or the causeway would calm me down on a stressful day. Kebabs on the rocks by the sea during Ramadan to be shared with both Muslim and non-Muslim friends. And long hours of conversation with Abdul Sattar Merchant, the chairman of the Haji Ali Trust, whose family had been the dargah's caretakers for almost a century. He took me inside to see the mosque's famed silver dome, twice, in spite of the fact that I am non-Muslim and a woman. But more than anything, the glistening dome has signalled homecoming for me. This time, we drove past the dargah twice, and all I managed was the glimpse of a minaret. The coastal road project in Mumbai, the tall barricades, prevent any sighting of the dargah from the road. I told my dear friend, "Mumbai, now feels not like 'home' but a city I once lived in." I miss Bombay.


#mumbai #bombay #mumbaidiaries #hajiali #peddarroad #sobo #hajialidargah

No comments: