Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Saturday, September 23, 2023

Of beggars and a lesson

There are many beggars on the streets in India and growing up here you stop "seeing" them because they're everywhere, or you have been warned by your elders to keep them at bay or you're aware of the huge begging mafia. Around 15 years ago, I was at a street food stall eating a sandwich when a child begged for food. There were others too. I feared they might all ask so I turned him down. He kept 'irritating' me while tugging at my shirt. I gobbled my sandwich (couldn't enjoy it) and ran to the car. He had followed me. I had posted this on Facebook to highlight how irritating the experience was, a student of mine replied, "Ma'am, you could have bought another plate of sandwiches and asked the kids to share. It might have made all of you happy instead of irritated." 

No comments: