Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Monday, September 18, 2023

Seva or Service: An Indian daughter's duty

To serve, is ingrained in daughters of Indian households. When we marry, we marry the family, not just the person and so we take on the roles of the nuturer, the breadwinner, the companion, the server, the cook, the carer, the keeper, the supporter, the chronicler, the spiritualist and the defender. All forms of seva or service.

I have played these roles for 15 years in a huge household with a culture very different from my own. It hasn't been easy but every step has been a learning. I am very individualistic by nature and the conflicts between nature and culture surface from time to time. And yet, I have realised that if I look at it more as seva, with humility, I have more to love than not. 

No comments: