Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Saturday, September 16, 2023

The dog in my garden

A stray dog has been coming to my garden for the last six months and I have been feeding her for the last couple of months. I don't want to 'own' her so I haven't given her a name. She responds to a couple of my whistles, jumping out of the shadows and hovers behind me wagging her tail while I set a dish of food in front of her. I have never touched her, and I think she, having lived a life of a stray in India - shoved, pushed and chased away - avoids being touched as well. She waits for me to leave while she eats. I collect her empty dish only after she leaves. She appeared at a time when my son's occupational therapist insisted that we should get a dog. I have never wanted to buy one and was hesitant about adopting one and taking on the additional responsibility. This could be divine intervention. She doesn't ask for more and am happy with the balance this relationship is in.

No comments: