Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Holy cow!

This isn't a message. It's a way of life. You don't find too many cows in Mumbai (thankfully) but I know they're revered in many parts of India so much so that they've become a part of a political party's agenda, but I never thought they would visit me at home one day. Yes, it happened on Sunday morning in Rajkot. I noticed a bunch of cows sauntering into the compound of the house we were staying. There were four of them...and one buffalo. Now, that's a sight you don't see everyday. So I grabbed my camera and took some pictures. Job done, I went to shoo them away. I ran after them waving my handicam, but they ignored me and came straight to the door. The woman of the house, Riddhi, pushed me aside and put down two trays at the door. The cows dug into the mix of gur and atta. Riddhi put tilak on the cows. To mask my surprise, I started taking pics. The cows weren't moved. They'd had their breakfast but they weren't ready to budge. Greedy as they were, Riddhi had to put a tray of food outside the compound gate to drive them away. Cow worship is a big deal in Rajkot. There are more cows on streets than automobiles. What appeared to me as a bunch of lazy cows begging door-to-door for their grub, was 'auspicious' for Riddhi's family.
I told Elton about it later. He scoffed, "How could you chase the Gods away?"

Wonder why I haven't put up a pic of the cows? well, in all that commotion, I had forgotten to open the camera's lens cover.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hmmm... with digital cameras... how the hell did you miss the lens cap !?!?!?!

Innate Explorer said...

much to your horror, it was my handycam!

Giovanni said...

that sounded like a scene straight out of the movie Delhi 6.......

Innate Explorer said...

films do reflect reality, don't they?

Anonymous said...

LOL, sorry Eish, but your last statement was just what I needed (a real laugh!! - man is that in such short supply for me!)

Actually, it also vaguely reminds me of my summer visits to grandparents up north.

Near lunchtime, a person would come with his cow(s) or maybe just the wandering cows, and any/some leftover food from the day before would be wrapped in paper and then we were to & go feed it to the cows! (If I am not mistaken when my dad was younger he had to go to the temple to feed the cows before the people at home could get their lunch!! Must cross-check with him on that)

So yeah I have been amazed by it for years!

seodreamcreation said...

Thanks for sharing as it is an excellent post would love to read your future post
spoken english classes in vadodara